At 12:00 AM 9/20/2001 -0400, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>Date:    Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:48:29 -0400
>From:    Nick Simicich <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Summary
>
>This is probably because of what happened during the Pan Am incident.  The
>claim was that batteries show up as "dense" on airport x-rays and can be
>used to mask explosives, knives, and even disassembled handguns.  It was
>believed that 103 was brought down with a bomb hidden in the battery
>compartment of a boom box. Thus, for a while after 103, it was not
>permitted, especially on some overseas flights, not to take batteries.

Hello Nick:

I'll be on a plane tomorrow, so I'll send direct feedback should I
return!  Since Pan Am, laptops are prolific and backbone of business
travelers, I'd be interested to see how this has changed.

There are no knives in airports at all, such that bars and
> >restaurants must be getting items: meats, lemons, breads, pre-cut! [ also
> >saw a corroboratory story on Yahoo.com]
>
>What if you order a steak in an airport restaurant?  Hold it in your hands,
>tear at it with your teeth. :-)

I have a digital camera with me always, maybe we can get some humor out of
this mess.  I presume they'll only have 'pepper steak' on the menu! Maybe
they'll use blunt tipped scissors?

>I frequently used to fly with guns and ammo in my checked luggage, the guns
>have to be checked to make sure that they are empty and tagged, and I have
>taken apart checked bags and gotten several guns out on the floor in Ft.
>Lauderdale airport with a baggage agent looking over my shoulder, checking
>the chambers, and handing me tags to put into the gun cases (the tags never
>go on the outside of the case).  I imagine that if they are still allowing
>that they would bring me into the back to check my guns (like they used to
>do at some airports, like Austin, TX) so as to not scare the other passengers.

I've never witnessed such an event, it must really open eyes in airports if
done anywhere in public view!

Exactly. War is neither a hurricane nor a flood.
>It is, on the contrary, the cutting edge of ideology.

Clausewitz is a bit off topic but proper in the larger WTC sense.  I would
also recommend reviewing Sun Tzu's Art of War, as modern preparations are
more atune to Sun's philosophy, ".. warfare is based on deception.  Supreme
excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

Warm regards,

Marv