Not only should you be able to remove and replace the mask, you
should be able to make a safe ascent and a safety stop without it.
Until you can do that, I suggest not doing dives that require ascents
or safety stops.

I suggest doing some free diving, first with the mask, then without.
Start in the pool first.  Without a mask you can still see, albeit
not as well.  You can certainly make out your buddy.

You can also practice removal and replacement of the mask without
SCUBA gear, in a pool.

Good luck, and have fun in the water.

~

--