>From: Vasiliy Chernov <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:02:26 -0400
>
>On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 04:52:36 -0400, Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]>
>wrote:
>
> >I've been trying to recall what the tones were.  I believe I had
> >
> >high level
> >mid level
> >low level
> >high rising
> >low rising
> >high falling
> >low falling
> >high rise-fall
> >low rise-fall
> >high fall-rise
> >low fall-rise
>
>Add 'sharp rising' (15) and 'sharp falling' (51).
>
>I've read a description of a language having 11 tones (Nu or Pu-Nu, of
>the Miao-Yao family).
>

>Basilius

Hmmm. I could do that, I suppose.  Actually all this talk of tonal spelling
in Cantonese *g* has gotten me interestind in digging up my old notes (if
they aren't back in the States) and doing some more work on that beast.  I
believe it was called aeuia.  Though I think a shorte name is in order.

As I recall I had the 11 tones as above (make that 13, I like your
suggestion!).

There were four voice qualities -- plain, rough, whispered and tense.
(ispired by a combination of Bai and Vietnamese)

I had three vowel lengths -- short, long and extralong.  (a la Estonian, I
believe)

All vowels could be rounded.

I seem to recall having 3 front vowels, three central vowels and three back
vowels, thought that could be amiss.

9 vowels times 2 roundness settings = 18
times 3 lengths = 54
times 4 voice qualities = 216
times 13 tones = 2808 distinct monosyllables!!!!!

Wow.  I don't hink I'll need more than two-syllable words in this lang.
Three would be redundant!!

Adam