I tend to agree that alot of Taiwanese conversation sounds rather abrupt.
But I don't know how many times I've heard Taiwanes say the same thing about
Cantonese which I love to listen to.  Most commonly they'll compare it to
two dogs barking or most *humane*ly to people fighting.  I guess it's all in
the ear of the behearer. *g*

Adam