In a message dated 9/27/01 7:59:11 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I agree about using "live" for an apartment.  I use
staying for more like a temporary situation.  "We're
staying at such and such hotel.  We stayed at John
Doe's house. etc" >>

    I just had a thought...  When the issue actually comes up in my mind
(should I say "I'm staying" or "I'm living"?) I resolve it by saying, "I'm
at".  For example, "Where are you staying?"  "I'm at Ridge House", because
that's where I am.  :)  Also, when the asker finds him/herself not sure of
which to use, they'll often say, "Where are you now?" or "Where are you at
now?"  Not so much "Where are you at?".  Anyway, just a thought I had.

-David