I've been encoding them as separate DIVs, because I've
encountered postscripts with additional signatures, requiring
their own <closer><signed> elements.

I would agree with Syd that letters, particularly as part of
novels or larger fictions, require more attention in the TEI
scheme.

Perry Willett
Main Library
Indiana University