Dear all,

I've got the following problem (amongst others) with a pre-modern versified
drama. I've written to the list some time ago about this already, but at the
time I was even more ignorant than I'm now, and didn't end up with a
satisfactory solution.

The text repeats the speaker heading after a page-break when the speaker's
speech runs into the next page, as a kind of 'reminder' of who's speaking,
ie:

<sp who="Fool">
<pb/>
<???>Fool</???>                    <lg>blabla</lg>
</sp>

There seems to be no tag available for this. The element <speaker> is not
valid at this point (ie between <lg>'s, and not directly following <sp>). I
thought about using <fw>, as this <speaker>-heading-repeat is not unsimilar
to a catch-word. But <fw> is not included in the content model of <sp>, nor
does there seem to be any other suitable element, as far as I can see.

Splitting the speech at the page-break and re-linking it seems a bit
excessive to me.

So I may need to put a modified version of the <sp> content in the dtd
extension file. <sp>'s content model is a bit to complex for me though to
modify with any confidence. The Pizza-Chef gave me this (XML, most modules
included):

<!ELEMENT sp ((alt | altGrp | certainty | fLib | fs | fsLib | fvLib | index
| interp | interpGrp | join | joinGrp | link | linkGrp | respons | span |
spanGrp | timeline | cb | lb | milestone | pb | addSpan | delSpan | gap |
lacunaEnd | lacunaStart | witEnd | witStart | anchor)*, (speaker, (alt |
altGrp | certainty | fLib | fs | fsLib | fvLib | index | interp | interpGrp
| join | joinGrp | link | linkGrp | respons | span | spanGrp | timeline | cb
| lb | milestone | pb | addSpan | delSpan | gap | lacunaEnd | lacunaStart |
witEnd | witStart | anchor)*)?, ((p | l | lg | seg | ab | stage), (alt |
altGrp | certainty | fLib | fs | fsLib | fvLib | index | interp | interpGrp
| join | joinGrp | link | linkGrp | respons | span | spanGrp | timeline | cb
| lb | milestone | pb | addSpan | delSpan | gap | lacunaEnd | lacunaStart |
witEnd | witStart | anchor)*)+)>

Or have I overlooked an element that I could use?

I would be grateful for any help.

Ingo Mittendorf

P.S.: As we need to process the text with a style-sheet afterwards, it
wouldn't be bad if it was possible to mark up (and treat) the speaker-repeat
differently (in some way) from the 'real' speaker heading, so that we could
omit the repeat in the display for instance, if we chose to. An attribute
would do, of course.

Ingo Mittendorf
Department of Linguistics
University of Cambridge
Sidgwick Avenue
Cambridge CB3 9DA
United Kingdom
email: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]