On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Thomas R. Wier wrote:

> Quoting Steve Kramer <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > As the popular North Carolina joke goes, "'Y'all' is singular.  'All
> > y'all' is plural."  :-)  And yes, I have heard examples of both in
> > everyday Southern speech.
>
> So, do you use <y'all> yourself?

Once in a great while, depending on the company.  (And yes, as a singular,
too.)  Marylanders are neither North nor South - as we continually have to
remind the Pennsylvanians and Virginians.  :-)

A friend of mine tells a story of his father, who was in the Army during
the 1950's.  His unit consisted of the products of two recruiting
stations: one in Brooklyn, the other in South Carolina.  He was a
Marylander - the lone exception.  After just a few days, he realized what
his job was...he was the interpreter.  :-)

--
  Steve Kramer           ||           scooter (at) buser dot net          ||
 |/~       \_     {  / |        Easy Canadian-to-Baltimorese Dictionary: