On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:20:38 -0700 Joey Morlan <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Also, I often hear "y'all" in the speech of black teenagers in or
> from Oakland, spoken as one syllable as it apparently is in the
> South.
> I've noticed that other Bay Area speakers tend to pronounce it with
> the
> glide, more "you-all".  And I've always heard it used as a plural,
> with
> "all of y'all" only used as an emphatic construction.
> Joey Morlan
-

New Yorkers also use "you-all" - we wouldn't want to say "y'all" and
sound like *Southerners* (gasp!), would we?  :-) .  I think i may have a
register difference between "you-all" and "you-guys", with "you-guys"
taking the more informal range and "you-all" the more formal range.  I
know that at least once i have consciously stopped myself from saying
"you-guys" because it sounded too informal for the situation.

-Stephen (Steg)
 "how do they teach people about sukkot in Russia?"