> 2) akanboo-ni nakareta  "the baby cried"
> where nakareru is the passive form of naku "to cry"
> "The baby cried and I was affected in some manner"

<<
What do you think?  Is D Tse out there - I'd like to
hear his opinion too...

Matt33

Woah! I'm no native, I'm just learning! Though in my opinion "akanbo
ni nakareta" sounds a little weird, as "the baby cried" isn't really
of a passive nature. My reference books say that "subj wa agent ni
direct object o passive verb" (eg watashi wa inu ni te o kamareta),
which is what you're describing in the first example, has overtones
of the subject suffering from the action, though.

Imperative