> Date:         Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:47:48 +0200
> From: Dungeonmaster <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > En réponse à Elliott Lash <[log in to unmask]>:
> > > "It's raining cats and dogs"  (something you couldnt really say in
> > > Silindion, but I'll translate it anyway)
> >
> > In French, we say: "il pleut des cordes" (it's raining ropes).
>
> Ok, as we are comparing anyway, in dutch it is:
>
> "Het regent pijpestelen"
>
> or in translation: "it's raining stems/shanks of pipes"

Danish has "det regner skomagerdrenge." That means shoemakers'
apprentices --- one guess is that it's because they were often seen
skipping along the road.

It really seems that each language has its own expression for this, so
it would probably be "more realistic" to come up with an original
phrase for a conlang instead of translating cats and dogs.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)