> Date:         Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:04:04 +0200
> From: Henrik Theiling <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> > "Adposition".
>
> I really think it is `apposition' in the same way as it is `allative'
> case and not `adlative' case.  And like `appropriate', `annotation',
> `affix'.

Well, these assimilations (and similar ones for con-, a(b), ob-, and
so on) happened back when Latin was a natively spoken language.

Later coinages, from the Middle ages onwards, don't always observe all
of them. And sometimes a combination was made again with a different
meaning.

So even though we have the adjective apposite (meaning something like
suitable), the standard form of the linguistic term can still be
adposition.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)