Nicole wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm new to the listserve but here goes:
>Though I am presently inventing my own language, I'm also
>doing a linguistics project on constructed language making.

You might want to take a look at two items that discuss this-- one a
transcript of a talk given by one of our members a year or two back-- the
link is at
http://tsketar.tripod.com/skerre/id6.html at the very bottom of the page,
and there is also a published paper by our pseudonymous Sally Caves-- I
don't have the URL but it should be in the archives, IIRC around Jan-Feb-Mar
2000 --
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/conlang.html  (the archive at
Yahoogroups, if you're using that, would also cover the period.)

My own experience pretty much follows that described in other responses--
phonology first, then morphology, then-- hopefully- syntax.  I got
sidetracked into creating the lexicon however.