Wm. Annis wrote:
> >> Reminds me of the phrase "Colder than a witch's titty" (which,
> >> apparently, my father was fond of using). Apparently witches must
> >> have cold nipples ... :-)
> >> >>
>        My father has never been certain on that, and uses it for
>both, "hotter than a witch's tit" and colder.  My favorite, from
>Texas, "it's colder than a whore's heart."

A friend of mine claimed he picked this up in the Navy during WW2: "Colder
than the tip of a witch's tit, colder than a pile of Eskimo shit".  The
second part was new to me.

>        These regional, faintly vulgar, idioms are fascinating to me.
>My father pops off with this rural east-coast wisdom regularly, and it
>sometimes stops my mind cold to wonder who comes up with these
>things.

Midwestern, of another era:  [there hasn't been so much excitement] "since
Ma got her tit caught in the wringer."   (Some kid will ask, what's a
wringer?)

>        My father's wisdom on gender relations *and* technology: "if
>it's got tits or wheels, it's gonna give you trouble."  I'm not sure
>he fully appreciated the irony of dispensing that wisdom to his gay,
>non-driving son. :)
*chuckle*