Daniel Andreasson wrote:
>Padraic Brown wrote:
>
> > I've always pronounced it [log in to unmask] Then again, I
> > rarely have to opportunity to pronounce it, and
> > don't think I've ever had to say it aloud (i.e.,
> > in conversation).
>
>Not that it matters, but I actually talk about Xhosa
>quite a lot with a friend of mine (linguist and
>africanist). I never know whether to pronounce it
>the "Swedish" way, i.e. /xo:sa/, or the slightly more
>accurate way /!o:sa/ since we both know how to make
>clicks. Pronouncing it with a click always feels kinda
>awkward.

/xo:sa/ is the "Swedish way"? My dictionary claims that the accepted Swedish
pronunciation is /ko:sa/ ... and one is left to wonder whether the name is
used frequently enough in (spoken) Swedish to have acquired a accepted
pronunciation at all - I don't think I've ever heard the word spoken.

                                         Andreas