<<

> I live in Sydney ['sId_}ni:], Australia [@'strEIlj@].

Are you sure the [i] in Sydney is long? Most people I've heard just
use a
short [i] there (not an /I/, though; I'm talking about the unstressed
allophone of /i:/).

Possibly;

<<

> I don't consider myself to have a giant stereotypical Australian
> accent at all.

But who does? Actually, I think I heard someone on the bus the other
day
with a rather broad accent, the closest anyone's ever got to a Real
Life(tm) equivalent to Hollywood Strine.

Tristan

You hear it on TV sometimes though, when for example a farmer or
suchlike is being interviewed; people associate thick accents with
country areas.

Though I don't really have much contact with anyone with a horribly
thick accent. Compared to *some* of my friends, I have a rather
normalised and not really deserving of mention at all accent: though
the accents of some people that I know don't go the whole way,
there's the odd stray diphthong that's dying to be pronounced the
country way ;)

Imperative

Imperative