> Date:         Wed, 7 Nov 2001 03:20:11 -0500
> From: Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Swedish _Ernstskts_ [{n`s`t`s`kts] pretty good. It's the name _Ernst_, plus
> adjectival -sk, t-gender -t and genitive -s, meaning something like "of an
> Ernstian (thing)". Only  seven consonants, but final ...

A Danish linguist (Helmslev, I think) came up with the following to
illustrate how many final unvoiced consonants Danish can pile up:

           Et holmbladsk lys' styrke er større end et aspsks.

(The strength of a candle from Holmblad is stronger than that of one
from Asp. (Holmblad and Asp, the two main candle producers in Denmark,
have since merged)).

Danish has long since dropped the gender mark -t after -sk, so even if
Mr. Asp had been named Ernst, we'd only have six consonants to the
seven of Swedish.

Lars Mathiesen (U of Copenhagen CS Dep) <[log in to unmask]> (Humour NOT marked)