At 07.37 p.m. 2.11.2001 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 11/2/01 4:30:32 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:
><< I don't know how you are with length distinguintions, but you wouldn't like
>to come to Australia. Torn=/tO:n/, tonne=/tQn/ (gone=/gQ:n/, but there
>isn't such a thing as *gawn /gO:n/ >>
>     "Distinguintions"; what a lovely word.  ~:D

Stupid language and slow computer.

>   I thought that [O] was just
>another way of writing [Q].  I was under the impression that both were
>symbols for rounded, open-mid back vowels, just that one was SAMPA and one
>was X-SAMPA.  What do these two represent?

[O] is a rounded open-mid back vowel, rounded [V] ('open o'). [Q] is a
rounded open back vowel, rounded [A] (upside-down 'script a'). In American
English, one often finds the vowel that I hear (on TV) as [Q:] written as
/O/, so that might be the source of your confusion.