Nik Taylor wrote:
>Christian Thalmann wrote:
> > It completely escapes my understanding how anyone could consider [t] to
> > be softer than [d], or [f] softer than [v].
>
>While I can't understand how [d] or [v] could be considered soft!
>Voiceless sounds are quieter, softer, they sound more gentle.  [safa]
>would sound to me like a word for something soft, like, "cloud" or
>"water" or "sleep" or something, while [zava] would be harder, like
>"rock", "hit", "hammer" or something of that nature.

Lemme point out that by this logic "hit" is a very poorly designed word!

Personally, I feel pretty much the opposite - [safa] sounds hard, sharp and
precise, [zava] sounds softer and fuzzier.

Several people have stated that [g] is louder than [k]. Is this backed up by
actual measurements? I wonder because [k] sounds louder to me when I listen
to myself.

                                              Andreas