On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Yoon Ha Lee wrote:

> On Sunday, November 4, 2001, at 08:43 , nd003k wrote:
>
> > i have a curious question... when creating languages does
> > anyone come up with names for places in the real world?  it
> > has always annoyed me that as an american i would call the
> > country germany, but the people who live there call it
> > deutschland... i think my conlang is going to call a place
> > by whatever name the people who live there call it...
> > i would appreciate any comments, arguments, accusations...
>
> I hear you, Nicole.  :-)  I've wondered where "Allemand" and "Germany"
> come from--historical reasons, perhaps?  (Does the latter name come from
> the Romans?  I'm trying to remember my Tacitus...)  After all, Koreans
> call the place "Hangeuk," but that's because "Korea" comes from the Koryo
> dynasty from a while back.  And where does "Japan" come from for
> Nihon/Nippon?

Maybe from Chinese?

Anyway as for place names, Vranian used the native forms adapted to fit
Vranian, for example "Basque" is "euskalski", "Georgia" is "Sakartvelo" -
adjectival "sakartvelski" and so on.

Nyenya'a exists in an alternate timeline, so the countries are
different. China is just a small place with its capital at Guandong, Japan
is large, covering most of the Pacific islands along with Manchuria and
parts of inner Mongolia, and the longest border of the Nyenya'a Empire is
with Tatarstan. Place and country names I've not yet worked out except for
a few, like /amaka/ is Mecca, /amadina/ is Medina, /mosokua/ is Moscow
(capital of the Duchy of Muscovy) and /pEISiNi/ is Beijing. I think for
cities and towns that at some point in history were under Nyenya'a rule
will still be called by their old Nyenya'a names by Nyenya'a speakers,
along the lines of how Austrians call "Bratislava" - "Pressburg" and how
Hungarians call "Cluj-Napoca" - "Kolozsva'r".

---frank