Nicole wrote:
>i have a curious question... when creating languages does
>anyone come up with names for places in the real world?  it
>has always annoyed me that as an american i would call the
>country germany, but the people who live there call it
>deutschland... i think my conlang is going to call a place
>by whatever name the people who live there call it...
>i would appreciate any comments, arguments, accusations...
>
>nothing is impossible...
>..nicole

Hm, the Earth is known as _Taia_ in Tairezazh (and yes the _tai_ element is
the same in both words), and _Taie_ in Steianzh. Other than that, I haven't
named any geographical places of the planet in either language. Of course,
in the relevant SF conworld Tairezazh is L1 of almost all inhabitants of
Earth, so the Germany/Deutschland problem don't turn up in relation to
real-world places. However, there's many examples of the thing WITHIN the
conworld - for instance, the Steianzhen call their state _Steiene_, while
the Tairezazhen call it _Steiana_ (as you  may suspect, the Steianzhen refer
to themselves as _Steienzhen_).

                                                 Andreas