 >From: Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]>
 >
 >Well, let's see.  In Graavg'aaln, I have three words for pillar:
 >There are seven words for strong or strength:
 >
 >hrti^g (the strength to continue doing something -- endurance)
 >naarllv (the ability to do many repetitions of lift)

        Are you a weight-lifter?

 >There are eight words for upper arm:
 >There are seven words that could be translated as wrestling:
 >
 >And finally there are nineteen words that could be translated "lift":

        Woah.

 >waazhoov (a humongous bowl like the ones they serve soup in at Vietnamese
 >restaurants)

        Mmmm.  Now I'm hungry for some pho.  Perhaps I'll run off for
Bun thit for lunch...  Oh, no!  I lack a word for "fish sauce" in
Vaior!

 >And I have two words for anger which imply several others may exist.
 >
 >dhiv (mild anger)
 >ghixokh (earth-shattering fury, murderous rage)
 >with a note that the second state may also be referred to as a "blood-roar"
 >
 >So I like weird lexemes.  So sue me.

        I wouldn't think of it.

        This creation of "weird" lexemes is part of the reason I
invent languages.  The most recent one, Vaior, has a lot of this sort
of thing, but nothing approaches your lifting words.  My own
obsessions come into play for this, of course, so there I keep working
on fairly precise terminology for:

        * internal martial arts (i.e., taiji, xingyi and bagua)
        * food of all sorts (southeast asian and middle eastern focus
          these days)
        * electronic music (a lot of timbre terms)
        * microtonal music (many ratios get their own name)
        * some politics

In the past I've studded my languages with a precise vocabulary for
sexual frustration, but I'm not 18 any more, so I refrain from much of
that these days.  It makes straight guys nervous anyway. :) But,
here's a quick sampling, mostly in the theoretical root form:

LID - v.intr. peaceful, but an externally enforced peace;

OLV - v.intr. peaceful, mutually agreed on lack of discord

SÚIN - v.intr. peaceful, enforced by the speaker or his agents,
       associates, family, etc.

CIHAP (cihaf) v.st. inelegant, hobbled or dreadful, but useful
       regardless, often because there is no option or choice
       (This was invented after I had to program in Perl for a
       while).

MÚEN v.st. "swooshy," "slow-pad sounding" describes sounds with slow
       attack and decay and a rich, often rolling timbre; originally referred
       to sounds like wind through trees

MUND v.tr. be-sexually-attracted-to (eros). Do not confuse with
       NOLG. Mundia is a sexual attraction to someone known and at least
       somewhat respected. Nolgia is sexual attraction to a random stranger
       whose character and personality are unknown. MUND also implies the
       object of desire is aware of this attraction. If not, use instead
       solmund-

        The default meaning of any interval or gamut name refers to
just intervals, so _paipathe_ refers to the major second 9:8. A
tempered interval is usually indicated with the word _corsauth_
colored which doesn't specify what sort of tempering is going on. Take
care to distinguish this from a _hemsauth_ changed interval, which
refers to normal note changes to add variation to a theme, including
raising and lowering intervals, for example, raising a minor to a
major third.

        I make and listen to a lot of electronic music, so things
like, achurnaure n. "near timbre," which refers to ambient,
non-musical sounds embedded within a musical texture, is very useful
to me.

--
William Annis  -  System Administrator -  Biomedical Computing Group
"When men are inhuman, take care not to feel towards them as they do