Frank George Valoczy wrote:

> Aha! Yet more proof for my "theory" that Korean is a Uralic language
> ;-) (or more accurately, one of my radical and outrageous claims that I
> expect to have shot down).

Altaic languages are big on vowel harmony too, and nobody can quite
agree whether Altaic is just {Turkic, Mongolian, Tungusic} or includes
Korean and Japanese too.  Some people think it's not even a family
but a Sprachbund: the connections between Turkic and Mongolian on
the one hand, and between Mongolian and Tungusic on the other, being
a lot more compelling than any direct Turkic-Tungusic link.

And some still think Uralic and Altaic are linked, too.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com