On Thursday 01 November 2001 08:04, Andreas wrote:

> Speaking of 'a's, is there any (real-world) language that have a
> phonemic contrast between [A] and [a]? To  my ears, they sound very
> different (much more so than for instance [o] and [O]).

Dutch for one: for instance maan [man] "moon" versus man [mAn] "man".
The thing spelt with double letters is called "long" but the contrast
is more of quality than of quantity.

   Irina

--
[log in to unmask]                        http://www.valdyas.org/irina
By my troth, we that have good wits have much to answer for. We shall