On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 11:43:31 -0500, nd003k <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>i have a curious question... when creating languages does
>anyone come up with names for places in the real world?  it
>has always annoyed me that as an american i would call the
>country germany, but the people who live there call it
>deutschland... i think my conlang is going to call a place
>by whatever name the people who live there call it...
>i would appreciate any comments, arguments, accusations...
>
>nothing is impossible...
>..nicole

I used to try to adapt the native names whenever I could find them, but
it's not always easy to find out how the people who live there pronounce a
name, even in English. I still do this to some extent, so that (for
instance) Paris, Texas is "Peris" in Tirelhat, but Paris, France is
"Paghí". Similarly, "Tolído" (Ohio) vs. "Tolédho" (Spain). But I don't
think I'll go so far as to borrow "Baile Átha Cliath" for Dublin or
"Krungthep....." for Bangkok.

I don't think many natlangs (if any at all) bother to use the native names
of some places. Is there another language that calls Finland "Suomi", or
Hungary "Magyarország"? Maybe there is, but I'd guess it'd be outnumbered
by languages that use non-native names.

One time I tried to come up with names for countries based on their local
wildlife, or animals that were in some way associated with the country, so
for instance the former Zaďre (the country with the awkward current name
"Democratic Republic of the Congo") was "Bonobo-land", and the US was
"Eagle-land". But it wasn't easy to find appropriate names for many
countries that way, and I eventually gave up the attempt.

--
languages of Azir------> ---<http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/index.html>---
hmiller (Herman Miller)   "If all Printers were determin'd not to print any