From: "Lars Henrik Mathiesen" <[log in to unmask]>
> Now that you mention it... I'm working on a list of correspondences
> between X-SAMPA codes and Unicode characters right now, and I'm a
> little puzzled by the tones and contours part of the IPA chart.
>
> The basic question is about the contour marks (vertical bars with
> strokes to the left). Do they go before or after the voiced sound
> during which they occur? (From the example of glottalization marked by
> preposed /?/, I'm guessing that it's before).

Whenever I've seen those signs being used, it's been on a separate line from the
rest of the IPA transcription.

e.g.
http://personal.southern.edu/~alrivera/conversation.jpg

Of course I should probably mention that at the moment I can't remember having
seen them used anywhere *other* than here, so...

    *Muke!