In a message dated 10.11.2001 03:42:17 PM Kou writes:

>The Chinese character is "chao3" ("cao2" for you
>Cantophones out there) plus the hirangana "me" and "ru".
>
>>> then D Tse ([log in to unmask]) replies:
>
>Ah, yes... hmm, that's interesting...

    ::nods head sagely::    ::breaks out gigglin'::

    ::makes note to improve his own Cantonese, perhaps the Lonely Planet tape
series on Cantonese, erh?... can't stand the idea that his mothertongue is
wasting away cuz his stepmothertongue [English] has held sway {almost} the
past 3 decades::

    Once upon a time, I was beginnin' to be bilingual in both Cantonese &
English - ages 0-3 or 4, but my dad mistakenly decided that my
_language-switching_ was too confusing/too confused.   When I was 5 or 6, we
moved to the US. When I was acclimatizing myself to the culture shock(s) of
movin' from London, England UK to Houston, frikkin' Texas, US of AS,... he &
my mum decided to concentrate on teaching me English (ack!, er _teaching
English to me_...).

    I am somewhat "fluent" with the proper polite stuff like _ng goi_ (the
all-purpose "thanx" & "please" one hears all the Hong Kongers say...).

    Maybe the Lonely Planet Cantonese tape series will refresh my memory...
or stir-up the ol' fried memories ;)

    ol' brain-farter here...
    czHANg