SuomenkieliMaa wrote:
Actually <embarrassed look> I never bothered to look
up the meaning of _sugi_ before, as I knew from the
radical for tree that it was some sort of tree!
(Figured it as a pine though..)

You've lived here (in Tokyo) before, though, haven't
you?  Was it near Shinjuku area or elsewhere?

I didn't know "sugi" before myself (I knew it in its Chinese incarnation, "shan1"), but "pine" is "matsu" (Chinese "song1"). It's the tree radical plus the character for "public" ("koominkan" no "koo"/my dictionary gives "ooyake" as a kunyomi). I can't speak for Imperative, but *I* lived in Namazuta ("catfish paddy"), a 'burb of Iizuka ("rice mound"), itself a 'burb or Fukuoka ("happiness hill") on Kyuushuu.  My boss' surname was Matsuoka ("pine hill"), which is why I know "pine", not because I'm a botany freak.

Kou

PS. don't know if this will swing for Japanese viewers, but here goes:

@matsu

ȑc@Namazuta

-@@Iizuka

@@Fukuoka