Hi!

=?windows-1250?Q?=A3ukasz_Korczewski?= <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> right, i'm aware of this, but i like the idea of the loss of the quantity in
> favour of the quality and i pay attention only to this side of the matter.
> and so i did comparing my system of phonemes with the one of german.

Yeah.  It's very realistic. I think Dutch works this way: many `long'
vowels are really short (only in front of {r} they are long and {a} is
always long, I think.  Maybe the rules are more complicated).  The
quality difference matters in Dutch.  I had quite a hard time learning
that. :-)

  `vies' vs. `vis':  [v_0is] vs. [v_0Is]

> do you mean [E:] -> [e:]?

Exactly.

> > Well, almost, yes.  The [a]-[A:] opposition is found in coastal
> > dialects in the north only (e.g. in Hamburg) for /a/-/a:/.  They
> > almost have [{]-[A:] there and possibly even use [{] for /6/:
>
> interesting, my Langenscheidts Taschenwoerterbuch (that's my only current
> source with IPA) has definitively [a] when short and in diphtongs and [A]
> when long or halflong

Really?!  I thought Langenscheidt was quite reliable.  I'm sure that's
only true in coastal regions (for High German).  Standard High German
has [a]-[a:].

**Henrik