On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Muke Tever wrote:

> From: "Tristan Alexander McLeay" <[log in to unmask]>

> > ["w&_r5 aI"k_hA_A:~"dts&_rIjO:zwQz@"p_h@i:s@v"k_h&_rIk_h "aIDA_A]
> >
> > (That [dt] after [...k_hA_A:~"...] was supposed to be one sound that's
> > half voiced. Is there a way to show this in X-Sampa?
>
> I'm not sure there's a way to represent it in IPA...

I'm sure I've seen a half voiced diacritic somewhere... How else does one
talk about English in a very phonetic way? (Wasn't <Apologies, forgotten
name> talking about it a few days ago?)

> > Tristan (very glad we have a standard albeit irregular orthography we can
> > fall back on.)
>
> Nevertheless, I threw it at http://odur.let.rug.nl/~kleiweg/sampa/input.html

Cool! Automatic converter!

> because the _r kept wanting to be misread at me.  (Shortly after, I retossed it
> with [&] converted to [{] and was subsequently much less confused.)

Oh... Sorry about using [&] instead of [{]. Bad habit I picked up from
this list that I'm trying to break.

And Lars wrote:

> It also puts the tilde in [A:~] over the length mark

Which is logical and to be expected; the reason I did it was because I
made the human mistake of thinking of it as a nasalised long A, not a long
nasalised A.

> [That page can't do [w`] !  I shed tears.]

Is that even a proper X-Sampa? It put me off until I ignored it and read
the next few chars (and then it became obvious).

Tristan

War doesn't prove who's right, just who's left.
                       - BSD Games' Fortune