On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Y.Penzev wrote:

> Re: Tony Hogard on Thursday, November 29, 2001 11:11 PM
>
> > 'Course, if it's 2, 3, or 4 books in Russian,  it takes genitive
> > singular.
> > Czech has a similar division, but I'm not familiar with other Slavic
> > languages.  Is this some remnant of dual number?
>
> I really don't know the origine, but it's NOT a genetive singular!
> With numerals 2, 3 and 4 Russian and Ukrainian use so called "counting
> form". In many cases it COINCIDES with G.sn., but it is really not felt like
> it. It sounds for a native ear more like Nominative plural with shift of
> accented syllable, e.g.:

I agree that it isn't a genitive sg. Serbian has the same thing. While the
form is generally the same as the Gsg, it does not "feel" like a Gsg, and
even then, that only applies to 2,3,4.

>     kozá 'she-goat' :: kózy 'she-goats' :: dve kozę 'two she-goats'

Srb:  koza            :: koze             :: dve koze

> For numerals more than 5 they really use genetive plural:
>
>     p`at` koz 'five she-goats'

Srb:  pet koze (whereas Gpl. is "koza", e.g. "mojih koza")

> + ...I heard that in Bulgarian the 'counting form' is used with ALL numerals

As far as I can remember, this is true for Macedonian too.

---ferko