>Not if the "words" may have four syllables
>or more.
Answer: I mean CV or follow what J,R,Firth saying 'one articulation
type'it's a unit from nonlinear phonology. Both syllable and phoneme was
called phonology, they believe that sound will be uttered like a serial of
letters, in fact they are not, using instrument, people found when you say a
consonant and a vowel, you can separate this two elements by time or we may
say they are out of your mouth at the same time. For instance 'ba' it's one
action not b-a. The b or a just help us recall a new soud ba.
>Are short words with complex phonology
>going to be any easier than longer words
>that are easier to pronounce and to
>accurately "hear?"
Answer: In fact all the people in the world, whenever you utter a sound it
would be one consonant, one vowel and one tone. We say the ancient
Pheonician just have consonant no vowel means that in their writting system
just 22 consonants, in their language, they ignore the vowel. Ma,me,mo,mai
etc in their language just same thing. Well, the European languages just
detect the consonants and vowels. Some Asia languages can detect consonants,
vowels and tones. From common sense we know the more information you detect
for language, the faster you get them.

>>Let me make a counter-suggestion. Instead of having short words ending in
>>vowels and containing tones, allow additional words that end in
>>consonants.
>>This would give you even more choices (with relatively short words) than
>>tones.
Answer: With an additional consonant means a more action of mouth, and it
prolong the information exchanging time. Suppose millions such delay will
cause the exchanging speed very slow. The rest things I think you know
better than I.
Su Cheng Zhong