Je 02.18 ptm 2001.12.01 -0300, Daniel CASTRO LANDEIRA skribis
>"Donald J. HARLOW" wrote:
> >

> > However, the "real-word" sources of -ig-, -igh- (which _is_ an _a priori_
> > feature derived from -ig- by analogy) and particularly edz- are pretty well
> > determined. On the latter, Zamenhof himself gave an explanation (which
> > later commentators considered somewhat ingenous as to detail though
> > accurate in general) to Boirac in 1913.
> >

>Do you _really_ know the etymology of "edzo", either explained by
>Zamenhof himself or deduced by others?
>
>I think that for anyone who likes to know the origin of Esperanto words,
>"edzo" (husband) is probably the most valuable item, something almost
>impossible to obtain, like the magenta one-penny stamp of British Guiana
>for a stamp collector.
>
>I tried to ascertain the etymology of "edzo" during a long time, but
>when I saw it was no Latin, no Greek, no Romance, no English, no German,
>no Dutch, no Scandinavian, no Russian... I gave up.
>
>Would you be so kind to explain it to curious list members, which I
>suppose to be many? Thanks in advance.

Probably not _too_ many -- it's been done before.

Boirac raised the question with Zamenhof in 1913, and Zamenhof explained it
as a back-formation from "kronprincedzino" = German "kronprinzessin", the
wife of the crown prince. From this, Z created the super-long suffix
"-edzino", "wife", from which (by deletion of the Esperanto suffix -IN-) he
got the suffix -edz-, "husband". And, since a suffix and a root are
identical except in what they are (supposedly) most frequently used for,
you end up with "edz'", husband.

Later Esperanto etymologists accepted the process but not necessarily the
word that Z. quoted. Waringhien, Maimon and others suspected that, in fact,
Z. started out not with a German word but with a _Yiddish_ word, namely
"rebecin", Mrs. Rabbi. However, in pre-World-War-I Europe Z. would have
felt (or so Waringhien et al believed) that, at least publicly, it would be
better to give such a word a more "respectable" pedigree. This was, after
all, not all that long (less than a decade!) after the most recent pogroms
in the East and the Dreyfus case (which, according to Waringhien, _may_
have played a secondary role in the personal conflicts that led up to Ido)
in the West.

-- Don HARLOW

Pasis longa voj'
Iri ĉi tien de for;