On 20 Dec, Steg wrote:

> > From: "Josh Roth" <[log in to unmask]>
> > > Hebrew has the word 'talmid' for student, which comes from l-m-d
> > AFAIK,
> > which
> > > has to do with "learning" (and teaching) so it's a little
> > different than
> > what
> > > you're describing.
>
> > Different root entirely. the root in question is t-l-b. What does
> > Hebrew say about that one.
>
> > --
> > Fabian
> -
>
> It doesn't.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist.  I thought that was Josh's
> point when he pointed out that the Hebrew word for "student" uses a
> completely different root.  The hypothetical cognate of /t'a:lib/ would
> be something like /t'o:leb/, though.

    I don't know whether this is relevant or not,
but Hebrew _does_  have a word /taluva/
 (tav-lamed-aleph-vav-vet-heh [ the letter "vet" is considered
close to"bet" ; in fact, in Israeli Hebrew, they are mostly
in an allophonic relationship: "bet" in syllable-initial
and "vet" in syllable-final positions.]).
/taluva/ means "a glowing, dry heat".
(Acording to my dictionary, the root seems to be "lamed-aleph-vet",
which is a variation of the root "lamed-heh-vet" [ both glottals: stop vs
fricative] with the meaning of "fire, blaze". "lamed-heh-vet"
also means "the edge of a blade"  possibly deriving from
the similarity to a "tongue of  fire".)
    At any rate, interestingly, the reflexive of this word, /taluva/,  means
"indecision, self-doubt" (ie to torture oneself)!
    As I said, I don't know whether the word is related to the Arabic,
but the comparison is intriguing!

Dan Sulani
likehsna rtem zuv tikuhnuh auag inuvuz vaka'a.

A word is an awesome thing.