Quoting Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>:

> Am 14.12.01, Anton Sherwood yscrifef:
>
> > Padraic Brown wrote:
> > > I love the Italian and some of the French designs. Austria /
> > > Switzerland (I forget which) are also not bad.
> >
> > Somehow I wouldn't expect a Swiss Euro.
>
> I think they're part of E-land... I think GB is about the
> only one not in on it.

No, Switzerland is not a member of the EU.  The euro
members are:  Belgium, Germany, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy,
Luxemburg, Holland, Austria, Portugal, Finland, and Greece.
EU members not in the Euro include: the UK, Denmark, and
Sweden.

> > > I hear the Greek designs are good too (and are also bucking
> > > the new "tradition" by calling the small deenomination "lepton"
> > > rather than "cent".
> >
> > It's a "cent"?  The French accepted that?!
>
> Yes. And what's worse is the 'official' plurals are "cent" and "euro".

Probably pleases the Germans, though.

Thomas Wier <[log in to unmask]> <http://home.uchicago.edu/~trwier>

             "...koruphàs hetéras hetére:isi prosápto:n /
Dept. of Linguistics  mú:tho:n mè: teléein atrapòn mían..."
University of Chicago "To join together diverse peaks of thought /
1010 E. 59th Street   and not complete one road that has no turn"
Chicago, IL 60637     Empedocles, _On Nature_, on speculative thinkers