Quoting Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>:

> As for the DM, I think it's one of the Yugoslavian countries
> that, essentially, uses it as their currency (kind of like
> Ecuador and the US$).

Actually, the official currency of Ecuador *is* the US dollar.
Last year, they changed over from a 1-to-1 rate peg to full
dollarization.  (Argentina's been thinking about doing the same
thing for a couple years.) As for the former Yugoslavia, my
impression is that they just have useless official currency,
and so most of nonbartered trade occurs in German Marks (or
to a lesser extent, US dollars).

Thomas Wier <[log in to unmask]> <http://home.uchicago.edu/~trwier>

             "...koruphàs hetéras hetére:isi prosápto:n /
Dept. of Linguistics  mú:tho:n mè: teléein atrapòn mían..."
University of Chicago "To join together diverse peaks of thought /
1010 E. 59th Street   and not complete one road that has no turn"
Chicago, IL 60637     Empedocles, _On Nature_, on speculative thinkers