[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Exactly my point.  Even though the value of the nickel is five cents,
> it is never called anything but a nickel.

Not true.  We usually say "here's a nickel" but we may also say "here's
five cents"; the latter suggests the sort of person who hypercorrects.

*My* point, in case it was unclear (who me? usually!), was that we never
say "five pennies" unless we mean five distinct pieces of copper^Wzinc.

--
Anton Sherwood  --  http://www.ogre.nu/