Quoting Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>:

> Am 21.12.01, Thomas R. Wier yscrifef:
>
> > And we still do.  The gas station around the corner from me sells
> > regular unleaded gas for $0.989 per gallon.
>
> Correct. No one complains about paying $8.41 rather than $8.407
> for a 8.5 gal fill. Just a minute! Where are you getting gas
> for .989!? Lowest around here is in the $1.15 range.

Remember:  I live in Houston, and about an hour's drive from
the oil refineries where half of all the oil in the United
States is refined.  The transport costs are tiny. (That, and
Texas has relatively low taxes in general.  We do not, for
example, have a state income tax.)

Thomas Wier <[log in to unmask]> <http://home.uchicago.edu/~trwier>

             "...koruphàs hetéras hetére:isi prosápto:n /
Dept. of Linguistics  mú:tho:n mè: teléein atrapòn mían..."
University of Chicago "To join together diverse peaks of thought /
1010 E. 59th Street   and not complete one road that has no turn"
Chicago, IL 60637     Empedocles, _On Nature_, on speculative thinkers