Quoting Christian Thalmann <[log in to unmask]>:

> --- In conlang@y..., Anton Sherwood <bronto@P...> wrote:
> > Heh.  If it was something between the two (an affricate),
> > those who expect /kh/ might well hear /x/ and vice versa.
>
> I didn't notice it, but I did expect /xaza:d/.  Now that I re-read the
> relevant part in Appendix E, I realize it should have been /k_haza:d/.
> Oopsie.  =P
>
> One more thing to lend a closer ear to next time I'll see it.  I'm
> looking forward to it.  =D

When I was looking for it, I heard [xazad] when Saruman said it
the first time, and [k_hazad] when Gandalf said it the second
time.

Thomas Wier <[log in to unmask]> <http://home.uchicago.edu/~trwier>

             "...koruphàs hetéras hetére:isi prosápto:n /
Dept. of Linguistics  mú:tho:n mè: teléein atrapòn mían..."
University of Chicago "To join together diverse peaks of thought /
1010 E. 59th Street   and not complete one road that has no turn"
Chicago, IL 60637     Empedocles, _On Nature_, on speculative thinkers