Quoting Christophe Grandsire <[log in to unmask]>:

> Prefecture: to me, it means only: the administration of a subdivision of
> a country (like state is the administration of a country), but Japanese
> people would probably disagree (their Empire is divided into prefectures).

When the Emperor Diocletian divided the Roman Empire (AD 293)
into two halves in an attempt to micromanage it more efficiently, he
also divided each half into halves, and called each of these
sections "prefectures". He also created four tetrarchs:  two
senior ("Augusti") and two junior ("Caesares").

Thomas Wier <[log in to unmask]> <http://home.uchicago.edu/~trwier>

             "...koruphàs hetéras hetére:isi prosápto:n /
Dept. of Linguistics  mú:tho:n mè: teléein atrapòn mían..."
University of Chicago "To join together diverse peaks of thought /
1010 E. 59th Street   and not complete one road that has no turn"
Chicago, IL 60637     Empedocles, _On Nature_, on speculative thinkers