Javier rote:

>Just by changing the pronoun and saying
>
>"I looked at her flying kites"
>we get a truly ambiguous sentence caused by English usage of opposed
>syntactic structures.

A case could also be made for the ambiguity being caused by the coincidence
of the objective and possessive forms of the feminine singular 3rd person
pronoun in Eng.  In fact, in speech there is usually a discernible
difference between the two sentences: when objective, 'her' is weak /h@/,
when possessive strong /h3:/.

>I can imagine two further possible meanings, but the acceptability of these
>is subject to discussion:
>
>3) I looked at her way of flying kites.  (head -> flying)
>4) I looked at her while I was flying kites.  (considering "her" and
>"flying
>kites" as separate arguments)

For 3), one would have to say:

I looked at her flying of kites.

or

I looked at her kite-flying.

Kordiale, James Chandler

"...Reinecke observes that transformational generative grammar ... has been
'immensely influential in the field of Creole studies as in all linguistic
theory'.  What he does not say is that it has been for many Creolists an
almost constant love-hate relationship, resulting in eventual divorce." -
Peter Muhlhausler, Pidgin and Creole Linguistics