Am 24.01.02, Christophe Grandsire yscrifef:

> No it's not. In "writer", the first and last sounds are acoustically identical,
> with the difference that one IS USED as a consonant and the second one as a
> vowel. Yes, there may be a little difference in length, but not of place of
> articulation or position of the tongue.

Call it a semivowel and have done, then! And by the way, the
first sound is [WR], while the last is [R]. You Unroundophone,
you! In "righter", I'd agree, but see no reason to niggle over
whether the Rs are consonants or vowels.

> Christophe.

Padraic.
--
Gwerez dah, chee gwaz vaz, ha leal.