On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:28:44 -0800 Elliott Belser <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> The consonants, like in Hebrew, can sometimes be modified by a dot.
> In this language this dot is called an 'Adam,' or 'crystallizer'
> (Hard: Adam'u  To harden: Adam'as  Crystals: Adam) and they make
> sounds guttural (the only sound word I know).  The Ng'and'ana
> sounds
> are pretty much the same as English ones, and where there are
> exceptions I note them.  The letters and what they turn into are
> below.
> (This > turns to that.)
> V       >       B
> K       >       Q  (Like the 'Ch' in Chanuka)
> D       >       T
> F       >       P
> G       >       NG  (Like the Ng in Ring, but is it's own letter.)
> H  (Must be used at the end of a word that would have a vowel end.)
> M       >       N
> R       >       RH (Rolled R - the infamous 'kitty purr' as Terran
> linguists have it.)
> S       >       Z (Sometimes pronounced J)
-

Is this 'gutturalization' marked by the Adam dot a phonological process,
like spirantization is in Hebrew and Spanish, or is it just an
orthographic way of writing the different letters, like how the letter
"R" is a "P" with a leg, but there's no real connection between their
sounds?

-Stephen (Steg)
 "yo llamo a las llamas con hierba llena de lluvia."