On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 17:41:20 +0300
Pavel Iosad <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Pavel,

> > Urg; So it was translated from English to Russian, but they kept the Welsh
> > proper nouns in Russian phonology?? That's just cruel. But at the same
> > time, in the Russian mangling of "Gwrhyr" there was something for "w"
> > (what cyrillic letter was used?) just to preserve the "Welsh flavour"?!
>
> Ouch, that was my fault. Sure, they used Gurxir.

Aw, that's a pity. I thought there was a cyrillic letter I didn't know about ;)

> > PS. What does your name (Iosad) mean? I seems rather hauntingly familiar
> > to me - probably I'm thinking of Irish <iosa> "Jesus" and similar...
>
> Nope, not Irish. Jewish. it was the name of a Jewish rabbi in Vilno back in
> the 17th century. Well, the rabbi's name was actually <jsud>, but who cares.
> It gets two possible interpretations - as an abbreviation (yud-sin-waw-dalet
> for something Aramaic, I never knew enough Aramaic to actually try to check
> possible interpretations), or as one of the 'sfirot' - something like levels
> of spiritual understanding. The yud-sin-waw-dalet is the second one, there's
> but one left until the top is reached.... :-)))

Ah! That is why it was strangely familiar, nothing to do with <iosa> (obviously).
However if I recall correctly, YSWD is typically written second from the bottom
on the sfirotic tree diagram, not from the top; and the bottom one is MLKT, kingdom
i.e. the world, the least level. (Though presumeably the other sfirot are in a
sense 'below' MLKT since you have to start your development with the real world)
Also, to randomly quote an appropriate mystical adage "As above, so below!"

Stephen