On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:10:52 -0800 Elliott Belser <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> >Hello all!
> >All the talk on how we all seem to have odd ways of
> >pronouncing things makes me want to propose a
> >hypothesis: that linguistically inclined people are so
> >sensitive to sound that they overcompensate when they
> >speak...Maybe?  How does this sound?
> Well, my little brother gets upset when I pronounce the Legend 'o
> Zelda villain Ganondorf's name as Gah-NOWHN-dorf instead of
> GA-non-dorf the way everyone else does... and god forbid my Hebrew
> teacher catching me trying to make a vowel attached to a Ayin come
> from the back of my throat!
-

They don't like you pronouncing the `ayin?  I didn't really start using it until college, and i haven't really taken any Hebrew language courses here until this semester which just started, so i haven't had any reaction to it.  Although a friend who used to be co-head of the Hebrew Speakers Club said that i sound "ethnic", whatever that means :-P

-Stephen (Steg), whose Hebrew name has a `ayin but doesn't pronounce it because it's just a Yiddish "e"
 "You will begin to touch heaven, Jonathan, in the moment
  that you touch perfect speed.  And that isn't flying a thousand
  miles an hour, or a million, or flying at the speed of light.
  Because any number is a limit, and perfection doesn't have
  limits.  Perfect speed, my son, is being there."
                    ~ _jonathan livingston seagull_ by richard bach