Hi!

Back from the dead...  Not sure if I replied to this
email before, though I have a sneaking suspicion that
I may have.  Sorry folks, but let me re-reply -- just
because script is what brings me to this forum.

> How many of you have scripts?

The Enclave, speakers of Vya:a:h (abbreviated Vyh.),
indeed have their own script!

> How many of you use diacriticals as vowels in your
> scripts?

One of the diacritics is used for "vowel harmony" - a
bit like the Finnish concept, but still different.
This diacritic used for vowels looks like the
circumflex (^).  It only is attached in the case a
fourth phoneme - I hope I got the right term there, I
mean "sound" - is necessary.  In Vyh., everything is
written is sets of 3 per set (where a "set" refers to
an inverted triangle).  Quite coincidentally, I've
just recently realized that this schema tends to be
most common with adjectives!

In Romanized form, an example would be with the
adjective _shLvy_ (where L stands for /I/ and y stands
for /Y/).  Since the vowel harmony of Vyh. dictates
that for a certain vowel phoneme in position 2, then
its "equivalent" or partner vowel phoneme must be
voiced for the ^ of position 4, we can use _shLvy_
(which can mean "handsome" or "attractive" but truly
means "visually-capturing")

  p.1 = position 1 - required
  p.2 = position 2 - required
  p.3 = position 3 - required
  p.4 = position 4 - not required, only for vowel
                     harmony or consonant harmony
  p.5 = position 5 - not required, only for the
                     indefinite or definite art.

    (p.4)                     ^
  p.2   p.1     ==>         E   sh  _shLvy_
     p.3                      v
    (p.5)

However, this diacritic for vowel harmony (^) cannot
be used if p.2 and p.4 vowel phonemes are not
"equivalent" or partner phonemes.  In other words, you
learn all the Vyh. vowel phonemes, then you have to
learn all the groupings for the vowel phonemes (and
likewise, for consonants).

  eg. vowel harmony's vowel partnering system:
         if p.2 = E,   then p.4 = u
         if p.2 = a:,  then p.4 = yy
         if p.2 = L,   then p.4 = y
         if p.2 = aux, then p.4 = e
     etc...

> How many of you have null letters (letters that
> don't represent a sound) to deal with the problem of

> diphthongs / multiple vowels per consonant?

Vyh. does incorporate the character for "ts" to
function normally as a "sound-nullified space holder"
-- not to deal with any dipthiong problem.  As for the
multiple vowel per consonant issue, Vyh. welcomes this
as it is viewed attractive and representative of the
language and its people.

Anyhow, due to the strict writing schema of Vyh. (ie.,
that p.1, 2, 3 must always exist, regardless of the
structure of the word), the "ts" is used often in p.3
to just take up the space.  If you need the actual
value of "ts", then you must double the character.

> I had to insert a null consonant for this very
reason
> and decided to make it stand for /h/ as well, making

> it a bit hard to distinguish.

This is a matter of preference.  Though the Vyh.
script is finite and predominantly phonetic, the very
same characters in certain combinations (ie, words)
take on a meaning and lose their actual phonetic
value.  In other words, for these 500 or so "common"
words, the Vyh. script functions like Kanji does in
Japanese -- not for the reader to know the
pronunciation, but rather so the reader picks up on
the meaning first.  Obviously, such a system makes it
difficult for one not familiar with the language to
distinguish which are the "odd Kanji-like" words, but
once mastered - as there will only be about 500 - then
it's nice to convey simple concepts fast and in a
small space.  :-)

> Eventually, perhaps in a century or three, the
> Ifenians will get angry
> enough to separate it into two consonants. I omit
> the null consonant in
> transliteration but leave the /h/ to make it
> clearer. Otherwise, it could
> be /aui/ or /hahuhi/.

I like that - /aui/.  In Vyh., it could be written:

    u   a    -or-    u    a   i    (ts)
      i               (ts)     (ts)

though the 1st pattern would be most common.  Speaking
of null-value characters, I just remembered that
besides the diacritics for vowel harmony and consonant
harmony, there also exists the diacritic for verbals.
In other words, Vyh. verbals are conjugated *in
speech* but not in writing.  In fact, in writing, the
"written" form of pronouns must be written behind the
verbal always.  But as the "written" form of pronouns
is not what is spoken, the verbal then takes on a
diacritic (looks like a bar), to nullify the following
pronoun and tell the speaker to say the corresponding
verbal conjugation ending instead of the pronoun.

M.E.S.