At 10:42 am +0100 20/3/02, Christophe Grandsire wrote:
[snip]
>fricative /h/ or aspirates! The French 'r' is a voiced uvular fricative
>(/R/ in
>X-SAMPA). It used to be an uvular trill (/R\/ in X-SAMPA), but the last person
>I ever heard pronouncing it like that was Edith Piaf and it probably died with
>her.

No it didn't.  The priest who officiated at the wedding of my son and my
(French) daughter-in-law at a church right in the center of the Hexagone
some seven & half years ago used the most vigorous uvular trills I've ever
heard.

Indeed, my elder grandson used to say his French with vigorously trilled
uvular _R_ - but now, alas, he is changing to the effete modern Parisian
/R/ which has surely become a uvular approximant, rather than a voiced
fricative (too little friction - give me the full bodied trill anytime  :)

Ray.

A mind which thinks at its own expense
will always interfere with language.
                     [J.G. Hamann 1760]