<<Ah.  So there *are* articles, and they just happen to be homophonous with
the discourse markers.  Neato.  Can they co-occur, then:
   E tikili e mokomoko.
   "The starfish, the same was as was the subject in the last sentence, is
orange."

It's redundant, of course, but is it allowed?>>

No.  That particular example, no, because there are no articles for subjects; they're not used.  Specifically because it's redundant.  Also, the fact that the noun itself is also redundant is what made me want to drop it in the first place, and now I think I am going to do that.  I'm going to test all cases, though, to see if there are some situations where you'll want to write the sujbect, even if it's the same.

Oh, and that Thai sample was quite interesting.  One thing I was wondering (since, even though I'm learning Hawaiian, I don't know native speakers), how productive are all the different kinship terms?  Meaning, how often would people who speak Thai use them?  Would they always without exception use the most specific term possible, or is it breaking down, and does that kind of thing happen in languages with large kinship systems?  I've always wondered about that.

-David