Philology is geared toward historical and comparative linguistics and tends
to be very heavily geared towards Indo-European. Linguistics as taught is
much more general and tends to include all the traditional fields of
language study as well as encompassing cutting-edge research and ideas. At
least that's my perception. I did linguistics but always had a hankering
toward philology.
Mike