En réponse à Peter Clark <[log in to unmask]>:

>         (I'm not quite as bad as, say, Georgian, however. Georgian is
> downright
> genocidal with its vowels. I mean, what language could be so cruel as
> produce a word like "gvprckvnis"? I suppose the "v"s and "r"s are
> syllabic,
> but still...)

You suppose wrong! I've heard some recordings of a Georgian pronouncing various
words and sentences in Georgian, including this famous word, and his
pronunciation is quite clear: all consonants are pronounced, but none is
syllabic. It really sounds like a single syllable with only one peak at the 'i'.

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr